Want to start canning but don’t know where to begin? Stumped by how to make that something special? Take a look at these great recipes right out of Mrs. Wages’ own book. With the help of Mrs. Wages you and your family can enjoy the wholesome goodness of homemade pickles, salsa & canned vegetables in no time.
Pick your own pack today with Mrs. Wages.
- 4 quarts long red, green, or yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 cups Mrs. Wages Pickling & Canning Salt
- 10 cups Mrs. Wages Pickling and Canning Vinegar or other commercial white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse well, and hold jars in hot water until ready to use.
- Wash and drain peppers.
- Cut 2 small slits in each pepper.
- In a large container, dissolve salt in 1 gallon water.
- Pour over peppers and let stand 12 to 18 hours in the refrigerator.
- Drain. Rinse again and drain thoroughly.
- In a large saucepan combine garlic, horseradish, vinegar, water, and sugar.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove garlic.
- Pack peppers into jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Pour boiling liquid over peppers in jar leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe rims.
- Adjust lids and process for 10 minutes, using boiling water bath method.
Yield: 8 pints.
Fruit and Cilantro Salsa
Citrus juices join red and green bell peppers, sweet shallots and fragrant cilantro in this mild salsa. Perfect with everything from pita chip or a main entree dish.
- First pick your fruit. Using 2 cups total of any combination of the fruits below.
- 1-2 fresh, peeled and diced mangos or 1 can (15 oz) diced, drained mangos
- 3-4 fresh, peeled and diced peaches or 1 can (15 1/4 oz) diced, drained peaches
- 1 fresh, cored and diced pineapple or 1 can (20 oz) drained pineapple tidbits
- And then add:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water or fruit juice
- 1 package Mrs. Wages Fruit and Cilantro Salsa Mix
- Wash fresh fruit. Cut out any cores, peel and dice.
- Combine fruit, Mrs. Wages Fruit and Cilantro Salsa Mix, oil and water in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss lightly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with pita chips or top your favorite fish or grilled chicken breast with 2 tablespoons of salsa.