Want to start canning but don't know where to begin? Take a look at this great recipe right out of Mrs. Wages' own book. With the help of Mrs. Wages you and your family can enjoy the wholesome goodness of homemade pickles in no time.
Mrs. Wages Fresh Style Dill Pickles
Canning made easy!
- 10 pounds pickling cucumbers
- 3 1/3 cups Mrs. Wages® Pickling & Canning Vinegar or commercial white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 7 1/3 cups water
- 1 package (6.5-ounce) Mrs. Wages® Quick Process Dill Pickle Mix
- Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse well. Sterilize for 10 minutes in boiling water and hold in hot water.
- Wash and drain pickling cucumbers cut 1/16-inch from blossom end.
- Pack cucumbers into 7 sterilized quart jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace.
- Combine Mrs. Wages® Quick Process Dill Pickle Mix, vinegar and water in a large non-reactive pot. Do not use aluminum.
- Bring mixture just to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture dissolves.
- Evenly divide hot pickling liquid among the packed jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and cap each jar as it is filled.
- If more liquid is needed, heat a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water and fill the jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and wipe rims.
- Adjust lids and process using boiling water bath method.
- Process pints, 10 minutes and quarts 15 minutes.
Yield: 7 quarts