Want to start canning but don’t know where to begin? Stumped by how to make that something special? Take a look at these great recipes right out of Mrs. Wages’ own book. With the help of Mrs. Wages you and your family can enjoy the wholesome goodness of homemade pickles, salsa & canned vegetables in no time.
Pick your own pack today with Mrs. Wages.
- 4-5 quarts pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 6 cups onion slices
- 2 cups bell pepper slices
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup Mrs. Wages® Pickling & Canning Salt
- Cracked ice
- 3 cups Mrs. Wages® Pickling & Canning Vinegar or other commercial white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- Wash jars in hot soapy water, rinse well. Sterilize for 10 minutes in boiling water and hold in hot water.
- Wash and drain sliced cucumbers. In a large bowl, combine cucumber slices, onions, peppers, garlic, and salt. Cover mixture with cracked ice and let stand for 3 hours at room temperature. Drain well and transfer to a large saucepan.
- In a separate container, combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, turmeric, and celery seeds. Mix well to dissolve sugar. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and bring to boil.
- Pack into pint jars. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims. Adjust lids and process immediately for 10 minutes, using boiling water bath method.
- In 24 hours you will have crisp pickle slices.
Yield: 7 to 9 pints
Fruit and Cilantro Salsa
Citrus juices join red and green bell peppers, sweet shallots and fragrant cilantro in this mild salsa. Perfect with everything from pita chip or a main entree dish.
- First pick your fruit. Using 2 cups total of any combination of the fruits below.
- 1-2 fresh, peeled and diced mangos or 1 can (15 oz) diced, drained mangos
- 3-4 fresh, peeled and diced peaches or 1 can (15 1/4 oz) diced, drained peaches
- 1 fresh, cored and diced pineapple or 1 can (20 oz) drained pineapple tidbits
- And then add:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water or fruit juice
- 1 package Mrs. Wages Fruit and Cilantro Salsa Mix
- Wash fresh fruit.
- Cut out any cores, peel and dice.
- Combine fruit, Mrs. Wages Fruit and Cilantro Salsa Mix, oil and water in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss lightly.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with pita chips or use 2 tablespoons to top your favorite fish or grilled chicken breast.